The genomic history of southeastern Europe
Authorized Users Only
Gonzalez Fortes, Gloria
Alt, Kurt W.
Gusztav, Mende Balazs
Conard, Nicholas J.
Drucker, Dorothee G.
Kennett, Douglas J.
Lo Vetro, Domenico
Price, Douglas T.
Stockhammer, Philipp W.
Nikitin, Alexey G.
Article (Published version)
MetadataShow full item record
Farming was first introduced to Europe in the mid-seventh millennium bc, and was associated with migrants from Anatolia who settled in the southeast before spreading throughout Europe. Here, to understand the dynamics of this process, we analysed genome-wide ancient DNA data from 225 individuals who lived in southeastern Europe and surrounding regions between 12000 and 500 bc. We document a west-east cline of ancestry in indigenous hunter-gatherers and, in eastern Europe, the early stages in the formation of Bronze Age steppe ancestry. We show that the first farmers of northern and western Europe dispersed through southeastern Europe with limited hunter-gatherer admixture, but that some early groups in the southeast mixed extensively with hunter-gatherers without the sex-biased admixture that prevailed later in the north and west. We also show that southeastern Europe continued to be a nexus between east and west after the arrival of farmers, with intermittent genetic contact with step...pe populations occurring up to 2,000 years earlier than the migrations from the steppe that ultimately replaced much of the population of northern Europe.
Keywords:Farming / hunter-gatherers
Source:Nature, 2018, 555, 7695, 197-+
- Nature Portfolio, Berlin
Funding / projects:
- Human Frontier Science Program fellowshipHuman Frontier Science Program [LT001095/2014-L]
- DFGGerman Research Foundation (DFG)European Commission [AL 287 / 14-1]
- Irish Research CouncilIrish Research Council for Science, Engineering and Technology [GOIPG/2013/36]
- NSF Archaeometry program [BCS-1460369]
- MEN-UEFISCDI grant, Partnerships in Priority Areas Program - PN IIConsiliul National al Cercetarii Stiintifice (CNCS)Unitatea Executiva pentru Finantarea Invatamantului Superior, a Cercetarii, Dezvoltarii si Inovarii (UEFISCDI) [PN-II-PT-PCCA-2013-4-2302]
- Croatian Science Foundation grant [IP-2016-06-1450]
- European Research CouncilEuropean Research Council (ERC)European Commission [ERC CoG 724703]
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft DFGGerman Research Foundation (DFG) [FOR2237]
- ERC starting grant ADNABIOARC 
- US National Science Foundation HOMINID grantNational Science Foundation (NSF) [BCS-1032255]
- US National Institutes of Health grantUnited States Department of Health & Human ServicesNational Institutes of Health (NIH) - USA [GM100233]
- Howard Hughes Medical InstituteHoward Hughes Medical Institute
- Allen Discovery Center grant from the Paul Allen Foundation
- NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF GENERAL MEDICAL SCIENCESUnited States Department of Health & Human ServicesNational Institutes of Health (NIH) - USANIH National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS) [R01GM100233] Funding Source: NIH RePORTER